Smothered Kale and Mushrooms
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 24 mushrooms, cleaned and cut in half
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed, stems removed and chopped
- 1/4 cup Marsala or other sherry
- salt and pepper
Notes: The original recipe calls for small crimini mushrooms but any kind of mushroom can be used.
Preparation: Cut butter into small pieces. Chop garlic cloves. Clean and cut the mushrooms in half. Trim, remove the stems and chop the kale.
- Add the olive oil and butter to a frying pan, heat over medium heat.
- Add garlic and the mushrooms to the pan. Cover the frying pan with a lid that is too small, pressing and smothering the mushrooms.
- Cook 7 to 8 minutes, stirring once. Wilt the kale into the pan, turning it with tongs to combine with the mushrooms.
- Smother the greens for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with Marsala and season with salt and pepper.
Source: Rachael Ray
Back To Vegetables