Black Bean Soup
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 lb black beans, dried
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz.)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- salt & pepper, to taste
Notes: I use what is left of a ham after we have eaten most of it. Boil ham bone then pick the meat off and chop. Discard the water.
Preparation: If you have time, soak beans in water then rinse. Chop ham, onion and pepper.
- In a big pot, add all the ingredients and enough water to cover. Careful with the cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Check water level and stir regularly - black beans seem to stick a lot.
- Check the beans for softness after 45 minutes. Continue cooking until beans are tender but not overcooked.
Source: Tim Kelly
Back To Soups